Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting Rid of Negative Energy

One of my New Year's resolutions was to be more positive, and so far I've been doing pretty good. There's a meditation that I do everyday (also another one of my resolutions) about positive thinking... it motivates me to have a new way of thinking and look at all things in a positive way.
The other day I was talking to a friend... well I guess you could call him more of an acquaintance, and he was telling me how I need to start thinking about marriage, that I needed to start looking for guys that were into serious relationships instead of guys that were just looking for a "good time."
I explained to him that I'm only 22 and I still have a lot that I want to accomplish and do on my own... that I'm not ready to even think about getting married. The thing is, I live in Utah, and if you're not married with a family by the time you're my age, there is something wrong with you. I don't think there's anything wrong with me, I just need some me time, when I'm ready to settle down I'll start thinking about it and looking for the type of guy that would be good for me to settle down with.
Well, my "acquaintance" wouldn't really listen. He asked me what was so important that I couldn't accomplish without someone else. Not only that, he started telling me things that were wrong with me and telling me that all of these things are why guys around here haven't been interested in me. He told me that because I was into fashion that I wasn't going to find a decent guy.

This really upset me, just because I'm into fashion doesn't mean that's all I know and that I can't find a decent guy. I have a lot of interests other than fashion. I'll go on the occasional hike, I'm into working out, so I know a lot about health stuff and gym stuff. I'm adventurous and am willing to try most things. I listen when guys talk to me and I listen to them tell me about their hobbies and interests and try to learn more. So this guy had no right telling me that I wasn't going to be good enough for a good guy... just because he's not into fashion.
As I was talking to him last night, I realised that this guy was not a good person for me to talk to. I'm sure he had good intentions and wasn't meaning to be so harsh, but I need to figure out my life on my own, I don't need someone else around to pick it apart and make me feel bad about myself.
When I hung up, I decided that I'm not going to talk to this person anymore, I don't need someone messing up my positive energy. I also went through my phone and deleted anybody else that I thought made me feel that way. This year is a new start for me and I want to attempt to keep all if not most of my New Year's resolutions, and the positive thinking one is really important to me.

On a brighter note, I've been doing really good with working out everyday and getting back into shape. I've been keeping a food journal so I can keep track of what I'm doing right and what I might want to work on. Every month, I meet with some friends that are doing the same thing as far as working out and getting in shape, and I share my strategies with them and take from them what I can get to better myself. I have a feeling that even though my New Year's didn't play out how I was hoping that this is going to be a very good year for me because I'm going to make it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment